The Return of the Municipal Course Masher

I believe young kids that participate in sports are introduced, in a meaningful way, to basic values like fair play and competitiveness. It is undeniable that involvement in a sport will also introduce a child to a foundation for physical fitness and provide the necessary tools to help maintain fitness for life. Sports also demand social interaction -- which most often is extremely positive in that setting -- and naturally forces them to develop social skills that will benefit them throughout life.

This past weekend I took one of my daughters out to a local municipal course for a parent and child golf lesson. I have been wanting to get back into golf and my wife found a four-lesson series offered by the parks department. And there was our middle child, with no soccer or football to play right now, and therefore, the prime candidate to be my partner.

She was resistant, but pretty much knew her vote, if it were negative, would not count. I told her that when I was about her age, I started playing with some buddies at a nine-hole municipal course near Grandpa and Nonna's house. She told me that she would like to do that one day with her friends, too -- i.e., not with you, Dad.

That's not my goal though. I want her out there challenging herself physically. I want her out there thinking about the geometry of a shot, the weather of the season, and how that all is a part of the same equation. And I want her doing it with me.

After a 30-minute ride to the course and an hour chipping and pitching, she began to not only relent, but enjoy the process.

"This is actually kind of fun, Dad," she said near the end of our lesson.

On the 30-minute ride home, we had more great conversation that went well past golf. I believe I have undeniable momentum at this point. A little more work and I will have a golfing buddy.


Great read ALERT!

Speaking of parents and kids sharing the experience of sports, check out this article by Graham Couch of the Lansing State Journal. Couch and his dad shared Michigan State football season tickets for more than 20 years. His father recently passed. Great article, makes you assess where and how you are investing in relationships...among other things.

Indianapolis Colts blow lead late, still exceed meager expectations

I am constantly communicating via group text threads with multiple groups throughout a football weekend. I put my phone down around at 6:30 p.m. for dinner this Sunday. When I picked it up an hour later, I had 57 new text messages. Most were related to the ineptitude of Chuck Pagano as the Colts lost 16-13 to the Arizona Cardinals in Indianapolis.

The defense showed signs of improvement, particularly with the pass rush. Even though he threw a game-losing interception in overtime, QB Jacoby Brissett played very well considering he has been with the team for about two weeks. Indianapolis has now started the last four seasons 0-2, so almost winning a game with a brand new quarterback is more than what I expected out of them.

My buddies' text messages crack me up on football weekends.

Washington Redskins win road game, continue to confound

Winning West Coast road games is hard for teams from the eastern time zone, but Washington secured a road win over the Los Angeles Rams, 27-20. The Redskins have not been a good running team, but they ran for an astonishing 229 yards on Sunday. Jay Gruden hasn't been accused of being a master tactician, but his game plan was perfect for this game. The only thing that will be consistent about Washington this year will be their inconsistency.

I had some time in the truck listening to the Redskins this weekend. While Chris Cooley can often be awful on sports talk radio, he has to be considered a top-tier talent as a color commentator. I felt like I was learning something every time he spoke. Listening to the Washington radio broadcast was downright enjoyable for me.

Denver Broncos dominate Dallas Cowboys, 42-17

OK, things are always changing in the NFL. Prior to Week Two, anything I read about the Cowboys mentioned their dominant offensive line. Well, the Broncos dominated that line and held RB Ezekiel Elliott to eight yards on nine carries. Jeremy Bhandari thinks Dallas QB Dak Prescott is nothing without the running game, and now that running game is in question. It is not time to give up on the Cowboys, but it is time to be open to a serious reassessment.

And it looks like it is time to reassess Broncos QB Trevor Siemian. Siemian didn't earn the starting job until training camp, and he is the lowest paid starting quarterback in the NFL. Yet, he leads the league in touchdowns through Week Two, but....we are only one-eighth of the way through the season. Dallas will rebound, and Siemian will stub his toe. There is still a long way to go -- things will change again.

Comments

Popular Posts