Sports Radio and NFL Picks

For the first 18 years of my life, I lived in Richmond, Ind. I loved everything about growing up in the Rose City along Interstate 70 in east central Indiana. That place is undeniably my hometown.

During those formative years, I developed an affection for sports on the radio that I don't think I even realized at the time. It wasn't until after I left Richmond in 1991 that I realized how much I enjoyed listening to Marty Brennaman announcing a Cincinnati Reds game, Don Fischer calling an Indiana Hoosiers game, or Don Lamey losing his mind during an Indianapolis Colts game. Something about hearing those familiar voices call the game for one of my favorite teams made me feel at home, no matter where I was.

Here are some highlight calls with video:
While Fischer is still calling games for IU, Lamey departed the Colts booth before the 2018 season and Brennaman just called his last game for the Reds, Sept. 26. Having now lived in Northern Virginia for seven of the last nine years, I am starting to appreciate some local sports radio voices. Charlie Slowes for the Washington Nationals and John Walton with the Washington Capitals are classic play-by-play experts who have become the soundtrack of my current home.

Here are two more highlight calls with video:
I think everyone's vision of a hometown is a mosaic of many different inputs. Sports radio is an indelible part of that puzzle for me. Maybe, over time, this place becomes my new hometown.

Before you read the NFL picks, do yourself the favor of watching Marty's radio farewell below. At 3:17 in the video, Brennaman's radio partner says a little something that is worth hearing. And C. Trent Rosecrans's compilation of thoughts on Brennaman by other broadcasters blew me away.


Let's do some picks!

NFL Week 6 Picks

Last week did not go well for me in NFL pick 'em. In my legacy pick 'em league I was alone in 12th out of 12 contestants. So it is time to double down and pay more attention to this endeavor.

New Orleans Saints at Jacksonville Jaguars (-1): New Orleans QB Teddy Bridgewater started to find a connection with all-world WR Michael Thomas last week. - SAINTS

Houston Texas at Kansas City Chiefs (-5): Come on, everyone was shocked by the Indianapolis Colts winning at Kansas City last week, right? I can't envision the Chiefs dropping two at home in successive weeks. - CHIEFS

Philadelphia Eagles at Minnesota Vikings (-3): The Eagles defense is the best in the NFL against and registered 10 sacks last weekend versus the New York Jets. - EAGLES

Cincinnati Bengals at Baltimore Ravens (-11.5): My good buddy Andy Cecil is a Bengals fan and he was pretty happy they only lost by three at home last week to a bad Arizona Cardinals team. - RAVENS

Seattle Seahawks (-1.5) at Cleveland Browns: Cleveland QB Baker Mayfield is the 31st best quarterback in Adjusted Quarterback Rating and 32nd best quarterback in rating Passer Rating. I have no idea what the algorithm is for either rating, but I am pretty sure it means Baker isn't the next Otto Graham. - SEAHAWKS

Washington Redskins (-3.5) at Miami Dolphins: A game between two awful teams. Should be competitive, but ugly. Don't watch this; do yard work instead. - REDSKINS

Atlanta Falcons at Arizona Cardinals (-2.5): The Falcons allowed the Texans to score 53 points last weekend. - CARDINALS

San Francisco 49ers at Los Angeles Rams (-3): San Francisco is on a short week, and the Los Angeles is on a long week at home. - RAMS

Dallas Cowboys (-7) at New York Jets: The Cowboys are on a two-game losing streak. The Jets are going to cure what ails the Cowboys. - COWBOYS

Tennessee Titans at Denver Broncos (-2): Denver's defense has underperformed this year until last week. Tennessee QB Marcus Mariota ALWAYS underperforms. - BRONCOS

Pittsburgh Steelers at Los Angeles Chargers (-7): Do you know who Devlin Hodges is? Me neither until I started reading up on this game. I guess he is starting at quarterback for the Steelers on today. - CHARGERS

Detroit Lions at Green Bay Packers (-4.5): I keep thinking the Lions will eventually crater and finish no better than 0.500. - PACKERS

Comments

  1. Totally agree about the power of those voices. Frank Herzog's "Touchdown, Washington Redskins." Time capsule for most every Fall Sunday in 80s. Postgame was Ken Beatrice on Sports Call, "You're Next"! Those voices bring back memories of the games, but, more importantly, the people that we watched/listened with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts