Joey Votto is my man!

Joey Votto is savage.  He is savage like "kids today" would use the term to identify someone as being so incredibly bad ass that you can't just say bad ass.

I have been trying to publish one blog post a week on Sunday.  I didn't make it this week, because there wasn't anything in the sports world that got me excited.

I thought maybe I could write something on the NBA Finals, but I am honestly lukewarm on that series.  The only drama is whether the Golden State Warriors can achieve a fourth straight series sweep.

I could have cranked out something on the NHL Finals, but for me, the hockey season begins when the playoffs start and ends when the Washington Capitals get eliminated.  While Nashville Predators fans chucking catfish on the ice is cool, I am pretty much tuned out.

On Saturday afternoon, I took the opportunity to watch the Cincinnati Reds versus the Atlanta Braves on FS1.  My wife and kids were all out enjoying the sun and I had a chance to pop open an IPA while watching the Reds.  That is when I finally saw something worthy of a blog post.

Reds game at Citi Field, 2010, and my boy is wearing a Votto t-shirt...because he is savage.

While the Reds ended up falling victim to their well-known deficiencies - primarily sub-par starting pitching, first baseman Joey Votto jumped off the screen two times.

In the top of the fourth inning, Reds starter Scott Feldman was battling to maintain Cincinnati's 1-0 lead.  Atlanta's Matt Kemp hit a comebacker that ricocheted off of Feldman.  This required Feldman to sprint toward home plate and make an off-balance throw to first with Kemp bearing down on Votto.

Votto calmly gloved the skipped throw off one hop and he jumped out of Kemp's path at the last second.  It was an incredible defensive play in a pressurized moment, but Votto moved fluidly and looked nothing but calm.  Well, he is savage.

In the top of the fifth inning, Feldman would fold like a cheap lawn chair and give up five runs.  The Reds would have to go to their overused bullpen and fight from behind again.  But the Reds have shown plenty of offensive capability and they did come back.  Votto played a significant role in that effort.

In the bottom of the sixth, Votto came up with the bases loaded and smacked a two-run, game tying single into right center.  A pressure situation with his team in need and Votto did the non-sexy but effective thing.  He choked up on the bat, gave up on the long ball and hit one where nobody was standing.  Tie game after being down four runs.

Not everyone is a fan of Votto, his hitting philosophy or his big contract. 

None other than Hall of Fame broadcaster and Cincinnati Reds radio play-by-play man Marty Brennaman, and many others, don't like Votto's hitting philosophy.  Votto lays off bad pitches and would rather earn a walk than swing for the fences at bad pitches.  He has led the NL in On-Base Percentage four times, but never led the league in home runs or RBIs.

Home runs and RBIs are what fans want to see out of their big money, corner infielder.  Votto thinks that mindset is "silly" and "ignorant."  Urban Dictionary will tell you someone that is savage will "do things that make other people say, 'WTF, are you crazy?'"  Votto is savage -- he doesn't care what you and I think about his hitting philosophy.

Votto first played for the Reds in 2007.  He won the 2010 National League MVP and then signed a monster contract extension for 12 years at $251.5 million in 2012.  At the time, the contract trailed only Alex Rodriguez's $275 and $252 million dollar deals.

During an edition of the Reds Hot Stove Show on 770 WLW out of Cincinnati, Brennaman lost his cool ranting about the Votto contract prior to this season.  Brennaman believes the contract is bad for the team and "hamstrings" organizational efforts to improve.  If you pulse any small group of Reds fans, the majority would have to acknowledge there is some truth to that.  I would bet Votto doesn't care what those fans think and will continue to perform at an extremely high level  regardless.

I have to admit that I have questioned the cumbersome, long-term contract and have often not been thrilled by Votto's low payoff hitting style myself.  This weekend I couldn't help but realize this guy is truly savage and I need to enjoy his time as a Red.  I don't think he is the best Reds first baseman ever like the guys at RedLeg Nation blog, but he is easily the best Red of the last ten years.

Wherever you rate him in the Reds pantheon, he is savage.  If you don't believe me, check out this clip.  In the clip, he chastises a Reds fan, taunts Philly fans and loses all control with a couple of umpires. 

That type of behavior should not be promoted or emulated.  I certainly wouldn't want my kids acting like that on the field of play.  But I can't help it.  I have really grown to like this guy and appreciate his mindset of savagery. 

Comments

Popular Posts