Breaking News: Collin Hartman to return to IU for 5th season

Yeah, yeah, I know.  The IndyStar published a Gregg Doyel article with this news at 10am this morning.  Alex Bozich of the Indiana University basketball blog Inside the Hall posted his analysis by 2pm today. 

I got all the way home from work and was into a youth soccer practice run when one of my Indiana sports "sources" - Indy Banker Dude - started getting me the scoop.  Banker Dude got me up to speed quickly with a flurry of text messages that provide all the analysis you need on Collin Hartman's return and the hiring of Archie Miller.  You can't get this stuff anywhere but here. [My thoughts in brackets.]

Text #1: Hartman coming back for 5th year is really big.  I don't care if he averages 2 points. Great to have a senior who's won a B1G title on your team.
[This is big; leadership was lacking last year and Hartman brings that.]

Text #2: I don't know why I'm so optimistic about the Archie Miller era, but man he just says everything right, respects the right people, kisses the right asses, just seems to get it.  At the same time, also seems like a guy who won't take shit.
[Agreed, Archie seems to have a chip on his shoulder...in a good way.]

Text #3: Can't explain it well, but it just feels like the "vibe" around the program the past several years has been off.  The vibe seems right now.  We have a coach who is a straight shooter, can X and O, isn't afraid of the ghosts, and is even complimentary of the guy he took over for.
[He can X and O with the best of them; averaged 24 wins a year at Dayton.]

Text #4: You guys know I'm not an optimist.  And I'm optimistic.
[Gently patting Indy Banker Dude on the back...virtually, there is a bitmoji for that, right?]

Text #5: There are only 2 sports teams that I really care about.  More than I should and more than probably my wife even knows.  Army Football and IU basketball.  Maybe both are headed for a renaissance.  I deserve it.  Rick Greenspan has [done] me harder than the Sisters [did] Andy Dufresne.  AND I CRAWLED THROUGH A RIVER OF SHIT AND CAME OUT CLEAN ON THE OTHER SIDE!!
[Fist thump heart twice, point to sky...I am with you, brother.]

If new coach Archie Miller can keep a 5th year senior, who was recruited by recently ousted Tom Crean, he must be making some important connections in the locker room.  Hartman's leadership will be good to have back next year as it was clearly lacking last year.  Well that, and a legitimate offensive scheme, effort on defense, an ability to maintain possession of the ball...Archie has a lot to fix.

I am with Indy Banker Dude, though.  All good news this week with regard to IU hoops.  I would love to help the uninformed with that Rick Greenspan reference, but we don't have the time tonight.  If he becomes the athletic director at your favorite university, find a secondary school to cheer for over the next decade.  Seriously, read the article linked to his name...hilariously inept.


Comments

Popular Posts